Thursday, August 23, 2012

Brownie Batter Frosting




Don't be fooled by these cupcakes. They may be showered in bits of pink and purple but they are far from innocent. This brownie batter frosting is sinful. Remember when I made the chocolate chip cookie dough icing? Since then I've been wanting to try other batter icings because lets face it everybody loves licking the spoon clean. I've always experimented with icing adding in flavoring and syrups ect. But recently I've figured icing can be just about anything....who says icing must consist of mainly butter and sugar? Why not swap out the powdered sugar with brownie mix? So I did....and it was amazing. 


I first tried it with just butter, crisco, and milk and it was good don't get me wrong. Just a bit too "grainy". I knew if wouldn't be as smooth as a regular icing because after all it was brownie after all. I went to the fridge in search of something to help and there sat the Milk Chocolate Indulgence by Philadelphia. BINGO. I've been waiting to come up with something to try it out and this was the perfect combo. It made the brownie batter much smoother and just a little bit creamier.

     

If your wondering what cupcakes are hiding underneath, they are of course brownie cupcakes. I played with the brownie mix a bit to get it a little softer and more cake like so it wouldn't be little brownie pucks under a pile of icing. It's still not perfect, but I couldn't not share the icing with you. My husband and kids loved them just the way they were but you could swap out with regular chocolate cake, or brownies, cookies, heck I'm pretty sure my kids would eat it on their vegetables if I let them. If your wanting to try out the brownie cupcakes ... I simply added 4 eggs 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup of sour cream to the brownie mix. Then I filled the cupcake wrappers with 5 TBS each and baked at 350 for 20 minutes. (the wrappers will be very full because the brownies rise very little)Ready to whip up some brownie batter frosting?

Here's what your going to need:

1 Box Duncan Hines Brownie
1Stick Butter 
1/2 cup Crisco
1 Philadelphia milk chocolate indulgence
4-6 TBS Milk (whoops he didn't make it to the photo op) 


Step 1: Beat the butter and crisco together.


Step 2: Mix in the milk chocolate indulgence until fully combined.

Step 3: Slowly add brownie mix.

Step 4: Add milk one 4-6 TBS at a time until desired consistency. The more you add the softer it will become.


Step 6: Pipe on to some of your favorite brownies, cupcakes, etc or just sit and eat it from a bowl :).


I only made a small batch of cupcakes to try these out so now I have a half batch of brownie batter icing leftover in the fridge. Oh what to do...


Happy baking!