Monday, October 8, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Treat - Strawberry Bark




Hey there! I can't believe it's Monday already. I have a really busy week ahead of me...so I hope you don't mind I just right into today's pink post! Today I'm back with another pink treat for breast cancer awareness month, strawberry white chocolate bark made using my favorite pudding mix!. I've become a big fan of bark lately. It's really easy and fun to make, as well as really flexible.  You can add lots of different treats to make your bark yummy. My favorite combo is adding peanuts and pretzels to either white or regular chocolate. For this one though I decided to go simple and just stick with the strawberry and white chocolate, but you can add whatever flavors you think would be great! This would be a really fun treat to set out a a event or even package up for fundraising!


I really love using pudding to help flavor treats, and I wanted to see if you could flavor chocolate with pudding mix, turns out you can and it worked really well. I had planned to add in pink M&M's to my bark, however, all I could find was dark chocolate raspberry m&m's which I found to be less then fantastic. Even though my husband and kids liked them I couldn't bring myself to put them in :/. (although my guess it the kids were just happy to get a pink m&m after) However, pink m&m's can be found at many craft and party stores...and generally lots of other places during October.  We live in an area with limited selections, boo. Which of course means we don't have a baking store either so I ordered my ribbons sprinkles here. This was the best place to order them I found...and free shipping!

You will need:
1 24oz almond bark. 
Pink Sprinkles
Strawberry creme Jell-O pudding
Pink candy coloring (found at craft stores) 
Any other treats you'd like to add (M&M's, pretzels, peanuts, Oreos, etc.) 



Step 1: Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Run your finger along the seam to press to crease the paper down into it. 

Step 2: Melt half (12 oz) of the almond bark in a microwave safe bowl. I start with 60 seconds at 50%-60% power in the microwave. Then I stir and continue in 30 second spurts until melted, stirring in between each time. When there are only a few little lumps left go ahead and pull it out. If you stir it around a bit they will melt and you won't have to worry about burnt chocolate. 


Step 3: Now add 6 tsp of strawberry pudding mix to the chocolate. Once mixed add in a few drops of pink candy coloring. I was really surprised that the pudding did not make the chocolate turn pink when mixed in...weird since it turns pink with milk! You will want to work quickly because the pudding does start to thicken the chocolate.


Step 3: Then pour and spread out over the wax paper. It may not smooth out perfect since it's thickened up a bit but don't worry the next layer will smooth out nicely over it. If your going to be adding any other treats (like pretzels) layer them over the strawberry layer now. Let sit in fridge until firm.


Step 4: Once the first layer is firm, pull it out and let it sit on the counter while you melt the second half of the almond bark the same way, then our over strawberry layer and spread out. You can shake the pan a bit to get it to smooth out. 



Step 5: Now toss on any toppings you would like to use. This is my girls favorite part! 


Step 6: Let cool in the fridge until hard. Once hardened you will be able to gently lift the entire piece up off the wax paper.



Step 7: Now just break it up!



Another really easy PINK treat! I'll be back later this week with one more. 


Happy baking!