Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sausage Wonton Appetizers

Ok who's already shocked by the first photo?! Where's the sugar, frosting, and sprinkles?!

This week I'm finally getting around to posting about some of my favorite and most requested treats and even though they aren't a dessert, they are a favorite and had to be shared. I got this reciepe from a good friend of ours, Allegra, a couple of years ago. I made them a few times when we had guest over and soon they were being requested. They are perfect for game night, new years, baby showers, birthday parties, ladies night, product shows..just about anywhere. I have never had any of them left over!

And of course....they are SO easy. People are often confused when I say I don't like cooking. I just like baking :) But even I don't mind making these.

Here's what you will need:
Wonton wraps (found by the tofu)
1 lb of Jimmy Dean sausage
Red, yellow, orange bell peppers
1 cup dressing (ranch and/or french)
1 1/4 cup shreeded cheese
nonstick cooking spray
muffin tins

This reciepe will make 24 wontons, which is about half the pack. They never last around here so I always make the full package of 50. To do so double up on the sausge, cheese,and dressing.


Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray muffin pan(s) with non stick cooking spray. If you only have one muffin pan you'll have to rotate.

Step 2: Chop up bell peppers into small pieces.

Step 3: Place sausage and peppers in a skillet to brown on a low heat. Use spatuala to break up the sausage really well. I like to let it brown slowly so I can work on the shells.

Step 4: While the sausage and peppers are browning, lay wonton wraps over muffin tin opening, gently press down into it creating a cup shape. Do so for all 12 spots and any other muffin pans you are using.  Once your wonton wraps are all snug in their muffin tin put them in the oven for about 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them because they bake fast! You want them to be just hard enough to hold their shape when picked up but not yet browned. If you have enough muffin tins you can leave them in them to fill and bake. I always make alot so I place them on a cookie sheet to fill and bake all tgether.


Step 5: Once sausage is browned drain any juice.

Step 6: Pour saugage and pepper mix into a mixing bowl. I was introduced to these using ranch, but I have also had a great outcome with french. Mix in 1 cup of ranch or french dressing. OR if you like both like me simply split the mixture between 2 bowls and use a half cup of each. Then stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese, or 1/2 cup in each if you're doing two dressings. 


Step 7: Spoon about 1 TBS of the meat mixture into each shell. Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese ontop.

Step 8: Place back in oven for about 2 minutes, until tips are begining to brown and cheese is all melted. Stay right by the oven, these bake fast!

Now you can enjoy!


These can really be switched up a lot! Having and early get together? Add some eggs to make into a breakfast appetizer!

Another great thing about these is you can preare the precooked shells and meat then pop them in the oven as guests are arriving for a warm appetizer. And if you really are in a time crunch the meat mixture can be made the night before and refrigerated and the shells can be cooked and placed in a container. You will only have to fill and place in the oven for a quick heat up.

Let me know what yo think :)